Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Finished my first book, Job

Job was the first book of the Bible I have ever read "cover to cover."  I'm so proud of myself!  What I love about having completed one entire book is that now I understand it so much more.  I've since seen quotes from it and actually knew the context.  This seems simple, but so many times I've seen quotes from books and really had no idea what the context was or what even that book was about.

Job on the whole was a disturbing book.  God allowed Satan to take away everything Job had for the sake of proving that Job would still be righteous.  It was also a hard book to muster through because it was a lot of back and forth between Job and these supposed wise men.  Job was saying he is righteous and the men were saying he needs to repent and he life would be alright again.  I thought I would be less confused when God finally got his say at the end, but I'm not.  I think this book and all the questions I have is something I'm going to have to put in my "Jesus Pocket" (which exists thanks to Pastor Arp).  This is where I store all the questions I have that are just un-answerable.  Jessica Thompson, a good friend, helped me out with this a bit though.  She said how she explains things like this to her middle school students is to draw a little dot on the blackboard, then a huge circle.  These represent ours and God's brains.  God knows the whole story and everything which is so much more than what our little brain can understand.  We just can't know his complete purpose right now and that's ok.

No comments:

Post a Comment